Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Payday Memorabilia: Ohio Jersey


This will be a regular feature on the day before my paydays. Why then? Because it's my favorite day to hit up eBay and blow my earnings before they're even technically in my account, that's why. Except for this first edition, which I'm posting on a Wednesday due to the Icers playing a game tomorrow.

And actually, most of the stuff featured on here will just be items I've accumulated on my own over the years, no internet auctions needed. Like this Ohio Bobcats game-worn jersey, purchased from the pro shop at Bird Arena on October 10, 2009.

Here's what I know about this jersey:
  • That patch on the right chest commemorates the 50th anniversary of Ohio hockey (1958-2008).
  • The CSCHL logo is screened on the left chest.
  • These were worn during the 2007-2008 season (the patch says that makes sense). Given OU's illustrious history of cycling through a vast array of mostly hideous jersey designs every year or two, it's unlikely that they wore them for more than a season or so outside of that.
  • I know that I don't know the identity of the player who wore this jersey. But if you have a 2007-2008 Ohio roster hanging around, feel free to share.
Here's a better look at that patch, since patches can make a sweet jersey legendary:

A couple years of getting curb-stomped as an original member of the CCHA (2-24-0 conference record from 1971-73) are included in the 50. Not included: An opponent that enjoyed trying to get to Athens.

As Ohio jerseys go, I actually like this one. I'm not a big fan of shiny (not to be confused with "shinny"), but I'm a huge fan of tail sweeps, and this jersey delivers. Also, it's green, as an Ohio dark jersey should be, as it, not silver or black, is their primary color. One final positive: it doesn't smell like Ohio. The entire state, not just the university.

Just in case you're upset with me for putting money in the pockets of Penn State's longtime rivals, here's a picture of the Icers' celebration following Steve Thurston's game-winner with 0:01 left in overtime that night. Apologies for the fact that Jim Balsillie's people have yet to figure out how to make a decent camera.

Front: PSU owns OU yet again. Rear: White trash.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment